Indulge in the comforting qualities of a velvety vegan mushroom soup. This recipe combines mushrooms, fragrant herbs, and a creamy base to create a delicious dish without the use of any animal products. If you’re a vegan or just looking to add to your repertoire of plant-based dishes, this one’s for you. It makes a bowl of soup that’s as satisfying as it is filling.
First of all, I am sorry for not being able to post a new recipe last week. It was crazy busy at work. But I keep sharing quick, simple recipes on Instagram even if I am not active here. If you have not seen my Instagram account yet, you can click here to go check it out.
When it comes to this recipe, the question is simple: who does not like a nice bowl of creamy mushroom soup?
I just followed a simple mushroom soup recipe and replaced the full cream with soya cream instead to make it my own vegan way.
It was smooth, creamy, and hearty. You’ve got to try this recipe
INGREDIENTS (215Kcal per serving):
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced or chopped – I used frozen ones
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 100 ml soya cream
- 500 ml (2 cups) water or veggie stock
- 1 tsp oregano and rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare a large Dutch oven or pot with the olive oil and heat it over medium heat to start sautéing the mushrooms. For 3–4 minutes, or until fragrant and beginning to soften, add the minced garlic and diced onion. When the mushrooms are tender and golden, add the sliced mushrooms and continue simmering for 5-6 minutes.
- The roux is prepared by sprinkling flour over sautéed mushrooms and stirring to combine. Cook for a another minute or two while stirring regularly to remove the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add the liquids while stirring frequently to get a uniform blending with the grains. This will help thicken the soup. Mix in the dried herbs (thyme and rosemary) and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes to enable flavors to combine.
- Thoroughly mix the soup: Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to mix the soup until it is silky smooth and creamy. Be careful when blending the boiling liquid and blend in tiny batches if using a countertop blender. Alternatively, you can leave some of the mushroom pieces whole for a more textural dish.
- Reheat the soup over low heat if you used a countertop blender, then stir in the plant-based milk. Stir in the plant-based milk and heat the soup until it is hot but not boiling. Make necessary seasoning changes.
- To serve, ladle the vegan mushroom cream soup into bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Extra plant-based milk or olive oil can be sprinkled over top for even more decadence. Please keep it heated.
This plant-based alternative to traditional cream of mushroom soup retains all the comforting qualities of the original while eliminating the use of any animal products. This dish’s combination of sautéed mushrooms, fragrant herbs, and a velvety base makes it a great choice for a filling dinner or a spectacular first course. If you’ve never had vegan creamy mushroom soup before, you’re missing out.