Mediterranean-inspired Potato Salad & Roasted Eggplant combines the creamy comfort of potatoes with the smokey flavor of roasted eggplant. This vibrant and flavorful salad is perfect as a refreshing side dish or for a summer picnic. This dish’s excellent textural contrast and a kaleidoscope of aromas will transport you to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean.
If you ever visit Izmir, Turkey, you will see that we mostly eat light but we drink heavily 🙂 Mezes, salads, and vegetables are essential for lunch and/or dinner. We are geographically very close to Greek Islands and Izmir aka. Smyrna was a Greek City until 1922. I believe this had a big impact on the similarities between Turkish and Greek cuisines.
I will share 2 easy recipes today that you can make a big batch and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Let’s get to the recipes!
Roasted Eggplant Salad (80Kcal per serving)
- 3 long or 6 small eggplants, chunky slices
- 1 capsicum, julien slices
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin, paprika powder, onion, and garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Potato Salad (150Kcal per serving)
- 4 medium size potatoes, boiled or microwaved
- 3 fresh or spring onions
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch dill (optional)
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sumac
- salt and pepper
- The eggplant should be roasted at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). To prevent the eggplant from exploding when roasting, puncture it all over with a fork. For about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the skin is browned and the meat is mushy, roast the eggplant in the oven. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set the eggplant on it. Take the eggplant out of the oven and let it cool. After the roasted eggplant has cooled, peel off the skin and chop it into small pieces.
- Put the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper into a small bowl and whisk until smooth; this will serve as the dressing. The salad will benefit from the addition of a zesty and fragrant dressing.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooked potato cubes, roasted eggplant cubes, roasted red bell pepper cubes, sliced red onion, thinly sliced parsley, mint, and halved Kalamata olives. Give the ingredients a light toss to ensure they are evenly distributed.
- Toss the salad gently after pouring the dressing over it to ensure that the delicious dressing coats all of the ingredients. Modify the seasonings if necessary.
- The roasted eggplant and potato salad will benefit from a 15- to 20-minute marinating time at room temperature. During this time, the salad’s tastes will blend and become more harmonious.
- Put the salad ingredients on individual plates or a large serving tray. This vibrant Potato Salad & Roasted Eggplant can be enjoyed as a side dish or a speedy supper.
Tips & Variations:
If you like a smokier grilled flavor, you can substitute grilling the eggplant and red bell pepper for roasting them. Grilled red bell pepper and eggplant slices should be cooked until they are tender and have a mild charred flavor. After slicing them into manageable bits, continue with the recipe as written.
- To make the dressing creamier, add more Greek yogurt or mayonnaise and mix well.
- To add some more richness and texture to the salad, you can sprinkle some feta cheese or toasted pine nuts on top right before serving.
- The Potato Salad with Roasted Eggplant can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a few hours. To evenly distribute the flavors, give it a quick toss before serving.
The smoky richness of roasted eggplant and the earthy sweetness of potatoes come together in a wonderful Mediterranean dish called Potato Salad & Roasted Eggplant. Flavors, textures, and vibrant colors all work together to create a sumptuous dining experience. Whether you serve it as a side dish at a summer barbecue or as a light lunch option, every bite will transport you to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean. Gather the necessary items, channel your inner Mediterranean, and savor the flavorful, nutritious potato salad with roasted eggplant.
- Microwave potatoes: wash the potatoes thoroughly and poke with a toothpick to open a few holes in the potatoes. Wrap them with a wet kitchen towel and microwave for up to 8 minutes (based on the size). Make sure to turn the potatoes after 4 minutes.