Vegan sausage with tomato sauce combines the savory flavors of vegan sausage with the rich and tangy notes of tomato sauce to create a wonderful and substantial dish. This meatless take on classic comfort food is perfect for vegans, vegetarians, or anybody else trying to cut down on their meat intake without compromising flavor. This vegan sausage in tomato sauce is delicious on its own, with spaghetti, or even just some crusty toast.
I bought these sausages from Ikea Food Market. They broadened their vegan selection and I must say their prices are much lower than other vegan food brands.
I decided to give it a try and picked up two different vegan meat products: Vegan Sausage and Plant Balls.
I made this easy recipe for brunch today and it turned out well. Then I thought that some of you might want to try these sausages so why not share my opinion.
Here is my overall feedback for these Ikea Vegan Sausages:
Taste: 6/10 – I might buy again but I will probably try other options before buying these
Price: 9/10 – AED19 (USD5.5) is a good price for 10 sausages
- 4 vegan sausages, sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp vegan butter – I used this or you can make your own with this recipe
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the vegan sausages in accordance with the package’s instructions. This might be done in a skillet, in the oven, or on the grill. Take them out once they’re done cooking and set them aside to cool off.
- Olive oil should be heated over medium heat in a big pot or skillet for the tomato sauce. Sauté the minced garlic and onion until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is translucent.
- After the onion and garlic have been sautéed, add the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pan. Stir the mixture to combine the ingredients.
- Add the dried oregano, dry basil, red pepper flakes (if using), salt, and pepper to the tomato sauce and stir to combine. Stir it up good to make sure all the flavors are mixed in.
- The spices will meld and the sauce will thicken as it simmers. Turn the heat down low and simmer the tomato sauce for around ten to fifteen minutes.
- After cooking the sausages, cut them up into manageable chunks. They need to be thrown into the simmering tomato sauce.
- Let the sauce and sausage mixture simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes to allow the sausages to absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the heat once the sausage and tomato sauce have simmered to your liking. Toast, rice, or spaghetti crusts go great with this tomato-based vegan sausage. Fresh basil leaves can be used as a garnish if desired.
Suggestions & Possible Actions:
Add more herbs and spices like thyme, rosemary, or fennel seeds to the tomato sauce to adjust the flavor to your liking.
To adjust the spiciness, simply increase or decrease the number of red pepper flakes called for in the recipe. You can leave them out if you prefer a lighter sauce.
Vegetable additions: For added flavor and nutrition, sauté some mushrooms, bell pepper, or spinach with the sauce.
Vegan sausage in tomato sauce can be served as a main dish with a green salad or steamed vegetables on the side. It also works great as a filler for sandwiches and wraps.