If you select a vegan diet, you don’t have to give up cheese altogether. Vegan cashew cheese may be perfectly melted, grated, or sliced, making it a versatile and tasty dairy-free alternative. In this piece, we provide a simple and delicious recipe for homemade vegan cashew cheese.
I know you guys love vegan cheese recipes. The last time I shared my nut-free vegan cheddar recipe, I received some DMs on Instagram asking if I have a vegan cashew cheese recipe. I did not want to bombard you with cheese recipes so here we are now with a brand new cheese recipe. Get ready, you are going to jump to your kitchen to create your own cheese after reading how easy it is to put this adorable cheese together.
By the way, if you do not have agar powder at home or could not find it, don’t worry. You can still create it as a vegan cream cheese.
For cashew cheese:
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup room temp water
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp tapioca or cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, dry oregano, and rosemary (optional)
For thickening agent:
- 1 cup room temp water
- 1 Tbsp agar powder or flakes
- Soak the raw cashews in a dish of water for a couple of hours. Soak them for at least four to six hours, or maybe all night. The cashews should be drained and rinsed before use.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth: soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and smoky paprika (if using).
- Raise the mixing speed gradually at first. Adding water until you reach a creamy consistency is fine. Combine the ingredients in a blender and whip them until smooth and creamy.
- Taste the cashew cheese and adjust the seasonings to your preference. Extra salt, lemon juice, or nutritional yeast can be added to personalize the taste.
You may now use your vegan cashew cheese in a variety of applications. Slice, grate, or melt it. Here are some suggestions:
- Melt the cashew cheese and use it to top sandwiches, pizzas, or quesadillas. It will melt without a hitch, creating a perfectly smooth and gooey consistency.
- Before grating, the cashew cheese should be frozen for a few hours to harden up. If it’s too tough to chew, grate it with a box grater or the grating attachment of a food processor. Use the cashew cheese as a topping for salads, pasta, or nachos.
- Before serving, refrigerate the cashew cheese until it is stiff enough to slice. After it has chilled, cut it to the desired shapes and thicknesses. Eat it on its own, spread it on crackers, or use it in a sandwich.
- Vegan cashew cheese should be stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to a week. For up to a week, it can be safely consumed.
With this simple vegan cashew cheese recipe, you can have a delicious dairy-free alternative that is great for melting, grating, or slicing. To make your cashew cheese more appetizing, play around with different spices and flavors. Vegan cashew cheese can be made to taste like any cheese, so take advantage of its versatility.