In this dish for Sweet & Sour Kale Salad, the king of leafy greens, kale, takes center stage. Kale is the ideal foundation for a salad that mixes the contrasting flavors of sweetness and tanginess because of its powerful flavor and many health advantages. This nutrient-dense salad will not only tempt your taste buds but also fuel your body because it is brimming with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
I love greens because I grew up eating lots of veggies. No surprise even my favorite color is green.
A few months back, I posted 2 kale recipes and mentioned kale’s benefits – check it this link if you have not seen them already. Especially, the kale pesto is my favorite.
Yesterday, I was craving a salad and made this one up. It turned out really well. It will take 5 minutes to prepare and while you are enjoying the taste you will benefit;
- Vitamin C, K, potassium, and plant-based omega-3 from kale
- Good fat, iron, and zinc from avocado
- Omega 3 fatty acids from walnuts
- And an apple a day keeps the doctor away:)
Let’s jump to the recipe!
- 5-6 large kale leaves, washed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 red apple
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
For Salad Dressing:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- The kale leaves should be thinly cut and placed in a large mixing basin. The kale can be made tender and wilted by massaging it with your hands for a few minutes. This technique makes kale more tender and tasty.
- Vegetables and herbs are added: shredded carrots, thinly sliced red bell pepper, red onion, and chopped cilantro or parsley are added to the bowl of kale. Combine all of the parts by gently tossing them.
- Dressing up time! In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, maple syrup, soy sauce, tamari, lime juice, shredded ginger, salt, and pepper. Make seasoning changes to suit your taste.
- After pouring the dressing over the salad, mix it thoroughly so that the sweet and sour dressing evenly coats all of the salad’s ingredients.
- Allow the Sweet and Sour Kale Salad to marinate for 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature. During this resting time, the kale can become even more tender and the tastes can blend.
- Add nuts (optional) right before serving for extra crunch and nutty taste. Try sprinkling some chopped toasted peanuts or almonds on top.
- You can prepare the Sweet and Sour Kale Salad on a large serving dish or divide it among individual plates. This vibrant salad can be eaten as a substantial meal or a refreshing accompaniment.
Benefits of Sweet & Sour Kale Salad
Kale’s high nutrient density is well-known. It’s a great source of calcium, iron, and vitamins A, C, and K. By including kale in this salad, you improve your nutritional intake.
Other vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, or avocado, are welcome additions to the Sweet & Sour Kale Salad. Try using new herbs and nuts to give your dish a personal twist.
The Sweet and Sour Kale Salad can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature. Prepare the salad base and dressing independently, then combine them just before serving to keep the kale crisp and tender.